Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Dating other Mothers


This week I've had a flurry of mommy dates.  And there is one thing I've learned: just because we are moms, does not mean that we should be friends. This is a rookie lesson, I'm sure.  But, man, I'm learning it the hard way. It's strange.  This new mommy socializing world.  It really feels like dating. Sort of. Anyway.

Take today, for instance.  I drove thirty minutes to meet a mom and her two kids at a Cracker Barrel for breakfast this morning.  Note: breakfast.  As in, both G and I had on clothes and our hair was brushed by 8AM.  This is sacrificial in my world. I do not do anything quickly in the morning.  But, she had initiated this date a few weeks ago and I wanted to get to know her.  

I was running a few minutes late and so I texted her to let her know I'd be there shortly.  I got there before her and waited a little while.  Well, G is at the age that if I put him down in a Cracker Barrel we would end up having to buy a couple of throw pillows and some glass frog figurine because he would destroy it all.  So, since I couldn't stand around holding him for long, I got a table.  After we were seated, I texted to let her know where our table was.  After about fifteen minutes, she still hadn't responded to either texts, so I decided to go ahead and order.  I mean, after twenty minutes into a restaurant excursion with a toddler and there is no food on the way, you start getting strategic.  Another fifteen minutes went by and I rechecked my texts to confirm the location/time.  You know how you do.  I even sent another text to let her know that we were ordering (she's a texter, by the way).  And, of course, I called my husband to announce that I'm pretty sure I was being stood up for the first time. Well, our food came and we ate and it was a good forty five minutes after she was suppose to meet me, so I started to get a little worried.   One more text of "Is everything ok?" and she immediately calls me.  And, I kid you not, she starts with "Ohhhhh, hey!" and then proceeds to go into a long explanation of how she had both of her children dressed and ready to go and then she got distracted filing papers.  Filing papers. And then she actually DESCRIBED to me the papers that she was filing and why they needed to be filed.  And, btw, she doesn't work outside the home, so the paper was, like, her mail.  I was all HUH? What? OK.

Then, THEN, she goes "Well, what are you doing later today?" And, I'm all "Oh, Yes! Let's totally get together.  I really want to spend more of my time on you today!!!" No, I was not.  Instead, I tried to get off the phone as quickly as possible (I had reached the point of letting G play with the creamers on the table). And then she says "Awww, but I was really looking forward to hanging out with you!."  And I'm sure there was an apology in there somewhere.  But my eyes had gone crossed and I was done with the conversation.

I mean, for real ya'll! I told my mom there are many more excuses that she could have given me that would have given our friendship a chance.   But there is something about the filing of the papers - even though your kids were dressed and ready?! -  that let me know that we just won't be friends. You know? And, let me add, she better be glad that G is content to sit and eat.  Because I know some other mommas who would have taken their earrings off.  You don't make a momma with a toddler wait on you! 


3 comments:

Amy said...

As a mama whose toddlers were never content to just sit and eat, I can testify: this is the ultimate in Just No. I cannot begin to imagine what she was thinking!! So rude. I've forgotten about play dates or whatever before, but you better believe I was extremely penitent and made up for it big time. Filing papers?? That's just weird.

Camp Papa said...

That's a complete non-starter.

jo said...

sorry for you to have that experience, glad for us to be able to read another of your great posts. I'd like to hear any follow on that occurs from her side, I'm wondering how much effort she'll make?!